Last Thursday at the members’ breakfast of the National Association of Pastoral Musicians in Grand Rapids, MI, several awards and scholarships were given out.
The prestigious Pastoral Musician of the Year award is given to composer and choral director Michel Guimont. He has been director of music at Notre Dame Cathedral Basilica in Ottawa since 1991, where he formed five choirs. He was appointed director of music of the University of Ottawa Choir in September of 2010. His compositions are widely published and used across the many churches.
The prestigious Jubilate Deo award is given to John Witvliet. He is director of the Calvin Institute of Christian Worship and professor of worship, theology, & congregational and ministry studies at Calvin College and Calvin Theological Seminary in Grand Rapids. He has a graduate degree in music and a doctorate from Notre Dame University in liturgy. He is a frequent presenter and author of many books on worship, liturgical history, psalms, children’s baptism, and hymnody. He is a pastor of the Christian Reformed Church.
The member of the year of the Director of Music Ministries Division (DMMD) is Kathleen DeJardin.
The Chapter of the Year is Arlington, Virginia.
The Chapter Leader of the Year is Robert J. Batastini.
The Industry Award is given to MorningStar Music Publishers.
The Virgil C. Funk Stewardship Award is given to Peter Bahou.
The following scholarships were acknowledged.
- NPM Members Scholarship ($2,500): Richard Grablin, Gonzaga University
- NPM Vatican II Scholarship ($2,000): Joy Viceroy, Mary’s College
- NPM Nancy Bannister Scholarship ($2,000): Nicholas Capozzoli, Oberlin Conservatory of Music
- NPM Jane Marie Perrot Scholarship ($2,000): Joel Morehouse, Syracuse University
- NPM La Beca Juan XXIII ($2,000): Olfary Gutierrez, Westminster Choir College of Rider University
- NPM La Beca Guadalupana ($2,000): Daniel M. Gonzalez, Stanford University
- NPM Memorial Funds Scholarship ($2,000; Funk Family, Dosogne, Rendler-Georgetown): Jerrick Cavagnaro, Westminster Choir College of Rider University
- OCP Scholarship ($2,500): Hannah Davis, Aquinas College
- GIA Pastoral Musician Scholarship ($2,000): Chris Gokelman, Oberlin College and Conservatory
- Lawrence Heiman, cpps, Scholarship ($1,800): Morgan Windsperger, College of St. Benedict
- James W. Kosnik Scholarship ($1,500): Joel Kumro, John’s University
- Lucien Deiss, cssp, Scholarship ($1,000): Dorothy VanDine, Rice University